Monday, May 5, 2014

How to Make Simple Chicken Laabh (Larb/Laab)

This is possibly one of my most favorite dishes to make during the summer. It's a nice and healthy meal option which is rich in protein.

Ingredients (serves 2 -4): 
-2 chicken breast (can be made with beef or pork or fish)
- Fish Sauce
I'm actually not partial to any type of fish sauce brand, but this is the kind I used


- 2 Limes
- 1 teaspoon laab seasoning mix (found at Asian grocery stores)

- 1 stalk green onion
-5 stems of cilantro

This is a pretty simple and basic way to make it. Other people probably get fancy with it by adding chopped lemon grass, mint, celery, green leaf, bitter bile, tripe, crushed browned rice (uncooked), and thai chili pepper. All of that is optional and unnecessary if you want something simple and fast.

Step 1: Obviously or not so obviously wash and cut the fat from the meat.

Step 2: Cook the chicken, you can either bake the chicken or boil it in hot water. I personally like to boil the chicken because I think it tastes less dry. Make sure there is enough water to cover all of the chicken in the pot. I cooked my chicken on medium heat for about 20 minutes. If you are unsure if it's ready just take one piece and cut it in the middle to see if it's still pink. If it is, throw it back in the boiling water.

Step 3: Drain the water from the chicken and let it dry.
Step 4: Cut up the chicken into smaller bite size pieces. I think the smaller the better. Smaller pieces absorb the sauce better to make it more savory.
Step 5: Mix the sauce. Add about two table spoons of fish sauce and about squeeze one lime into the mix. When the meat is cooled add the meat.
Step 6: Mix the meat well. If you feel it's not salty enough or needs more lime add more. I added another lime since the first one didn't seem to have enough juice.
Step 7: Add the laab seasoning. I added about 1 teaspoon. It's already a bit spicy so that's something to keep in mind when adding the seasoning. Feel free to mix it in well with the other ingredients and try it to see if you'd like to add more.
Step 8: Chop up the green onions and cilantro and mix it in with the meat and seasoning. I just used one green onion and about 5 cilantro steams.


 
It's ready to eat! Pretty simple. You can eat it with any kind of rice. If you are really going for high protein and a healthy diet. It tastes good without the rice too.

Enjoy! Let me know if you add anything special in your laab, and please share in the comment section.

Also, just wanted to show off the Hmong cute apron my friend got me (her mom sells these at the Hmong Marketplace in St. Paul). No I usually don't look that cute when I cook and definitely not with my hair down.





No comments:

Post a Comment