Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Two Truths and a Lie - Toastmaster Ice Breaker Speech

One of the things, you’ll find when you start to get to know me is that I can take things quite literally. For example, I often answer rhetorical questions sometimes unintentionally but mostly unintentionally. So, it’s only natural that I’d my first Ice Breaker speech, but doing an actually Icebreaker. Although it’s a one-sided Icebreaker. However, if you’d like to share your two truths and a lie with me later it would be greatly welcome.
If you are not familiar with the two truths and a lie icebreaker it essentially just a fun little activity that people will do at a networking event to get people to start speaking with each other with more ease. You go around the group and each tell three statements about yourself but they have to be two truths about you and one lie.
Here are the three statements about myself:
The first one being it once took me 15 minutes or longer to remove a dead mouse from my kitchen. The second, since 2007, I have traveled to a different country every year. The third in honor of NY coming up that for one of my new year’s resolutions was to always carry stickers with me for that year.
I’ll give you a few seconds to think about which one is false.
The first one taking 15 minutes to remove a dead mouse is true. I’m not a big fan of creepy crawlies at all. And I’m extremely grateful that it wasn’t alive when I found it otherwise, I’d probably have to move out. It’s just one of the down-sides of growing up and owning your own home or being a landlord. I really do enjoy it, because it’s is actually really gratifying to slowly improve and fix my house. I don’t question if I’m an adult yet as much.
The second statement was traveling out of country since 2007. This is false, if you got this one wrong you aren’t alone.  My sister who I’ve known for well over 20 years also got this incorrect. In 2007 I travelled abroad to South Korea. I have some of the best memories from there and met some amazing people who I keep in contact with. After that trip, I think I made a sweeping declaration that I would travel internationally once a year and that I wanted to truly live and experience new foods and cultures. However, I learned that travelling is super expensive and I don’t really enjoy the travelling part of travelling. And I have a lot more responsibilities now like owning a home and having worry about who will mow my lawn etc. I don’t regret not travelling internationally every year because I do travel when I have time and there’s still so much to see within the US. My perspective and priorities have changed.
Which brings me to the last statement which is true about carrying stickers around as a new year’s resolution. My logic was that stickers were underappreciated and underutilized by adults with the exception of elementary to middle school teachers.  I thought it would be nice to get a sticker or some nice gesture when you do a job well done. But I don’t take new year’s resolutions that seriously mainly because it never works for me, because to me it’s like making a sweeping declaration about travelling to a different country every year. I rather focus one thing or goal at a time like joining toastmasters to learn how to speak more confidentially which leads me to advance my career to allow me to update my home and pay others to mow or shovel the snow while I’m travelling to a different country. Or something even more simple like telling two truths and a lie to complete my first icebreaker speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment